Saturday, June 19, 2010

Toy Story 3


I got to see the UK premiere of this movie at the Edinburgh Film Festival in Scotland. Two rows behind me was Sean Connery. After the movie, I, of course, stalked him. I overheard him say... "so that was the third one right?" This disappointed me. Yes, the second one wasn't really all that great, but come on. I guess Sean didn't grow up with these movies. And that's the great thing about this Toy Story series closer, it was all about growing up. It didn't wait ten years to create a sequel that occurred only a few months later in fictional times; the movie was set for when Andy leaves for college.

Though it lacked a very in-depth plot, you'd have to try really hard not to enjoy this movie (or the Pixar short film at the beginning). It was the perfect closure to such a beloved series. It focused on loyalty and selflessness. Apart from the introduction of some really cool characters, there were also some terrifying ones. For example, a giant baby doll, a sad clown named Chuckles, and the most disturbing clapping monkey I've ever seen. Another upsetting factor was the absence of Bo Peep. It mentioned sadly toward the beginning that she'd been thrown away, and nothing was said again. My guess is that the voice of Bo Peep (Annie Potts) had better things to do with her time...like star in Ghostbusters 3 (rumored to come out in 2012). Despite these factors, this movie was fantastic. Certain scenes are just heart wrenching, and I'm not ashamed to say that I was crying more than the little girl next to me by the end of the movie. It was just a great, bittersweet ending. I won't give it away.

I won't say anymore, just go see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment