Friday, April 22, 2011

Country Strong Review

I had posted on here several times about my guilty pleasure desire to watch the movie Country Strong. Then before I made it to the theater, multiple people told me not to bother. They said the film was more depressing than good and the songs were mediocre. So tonight I rented the film and watched it with the reassurance of a Pause button. I was pleasantly surprised, though to be fair, I don't know if it's mostly because everyone bashed it or because it was genuinely a good movie.

But I found the majority of the characters and plot points to be complex and interesting. I would have actually liked to see a little more development in the main character Kelly Cantor (Gwenyth Paltrow), but the co-stars really shone. Those who know me can attest to the fact that country music is not my favorite, but I found the songs to be meaningful and catchy. Leighton Meester's singing voice was better than I expected, though I her small but impressive part in "Good Girls Go Bad" with Starship Cobra should have tipped me off.

Now to be clear, this isn't the hit movie of 2011, but it is definitely worth a viewing. Don't expect it to be a major upper, but don't close yourself off because every thing's not constant sunshine and roses. Aren't country singers supposed to sing about pain anyway?


No comments:

Post a Comment