Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Something to Talk About

I only approve of female empowerment movies if they star Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Lopez or Sarah Jessica Parker. Luckily this one does feature the best of them. It tells the story of Grace (Julia Roberts) who catches her husband cheating on her and leaves him. The problem is, she is a southern woman living in a place where women are defined by their husbands.

Something about this movie reminds me of Steel Magnolias. Like instead of Shelby dying, she lived, her son was actually a daughter, and her jerk husband cheated on her. The entire movie I was waiting for the daughter to die. Spoiler: She doesn't. I don't think Julia would have been able to handle it.

Also, it's hard to hate Dennis Quaid. I mean...I love Julia a lot, but
he's just not mean. And Spoiler #2: he really isn't. People who are mean: Robert Duvall, who plays Julia's father. I didn't even like him in the end.

When Scenes
WHEN Julia Roberts tells the entire PTA meeting about her husband's affair and then starts telling everyone in the room about their husbands' affair. The women clear out immediately.
WHEN Julia Roberts tells her daughter that she gets to ride the horse she's been dreaming of.
WHEN Julia's aunt is instructing Emma Rae on how much she wants in her drink.
WHEN Julia and Dennis dance at the end.

QUICKIES
"Emma....Emma Rae?" -Dennis Quaid (Eddie Bichon)
"Are you addressing me?" Kyra Sedgwick (Emma Rae King)
"Yes I am."- Dennis Quaid (Eddie Bichon)
"Then lick it, put a stamp on it and send it to someone who gives a shit." (Emma Rae King)

"You know son, you were lucky to get her the first time."- Robert Duvall (Wyly King)
"It was a damn miracle."- Dennis Quaid (Eddie Bichon)

"Emma Rae, I have a cookbook to put out, and a daughter to raise, and the God damn winter Grand Prix. And I just don't have time for the nervous breakdown I deserve, so please, don't ask me to stop and think!"- Julia Roberts (Grace King Bichon)

Fun Facts:
The movie was supposed to be called "Grace Under Fire," but that was rejected because of Grace Under Fire (1993). So the movie was eventually named after the song "Something To Talk About," popularized by Bonnie Raitt. The version in the movie is sung by Therese Willis. The song was composed by Lisa Dalbello.

No comments:

Post a Comment