Saturday, September 18, 2010

7 Month Anniversary!

In honor of Honest | Unmerciful's 7th month anniversary, I'm going to start a new challenge. For the next five months (leading up to the one year anniversary) I'm going to post seven personal favorites for various categories of film. These will be posted on the 18th of each month. Let me know what you think!

FAVORITE JULY 4TH MOVIE:

The Patriot (2000)

There's really no other way to say this, but this film just makes me proud to be an American. Sure, Mel Gibson has his flaws, but the man can act out a Revolutionary War scene like nobody's business. Plus the fact that Jason Isaacs (HP's Lucius Malfoy) plays the viciously evil Col. William Tavington and that the late Heath Ledger plays Mel Gibson's handsome and tragic son make this movie a must see.

FAVORITE BLACK AND WHITE MOVIE:

His Girl Friday (1940)

I really struggled with this one. At first I was going to put it in the favorite journalism movie category, but I decided it was worthy of favorite black and white movie. For those who haven't seen it, it follows Rosalind Russell (who plays Hildy Johnson) who is a retired reporter coming back to tell her former editor and lover Cary Grant (Walter Burns) that she doesn't plan on working any more. But the allure of Grant and the newsroom is too strong to resist. When I think of black and white films I think of the clever, witty banter of Clark Gable and Cary Grant. This film is driven by its fast pace and a strong script, both of which are regular aspects of a newsroom.

FAVORITE DISNEY ANIMATED MOVIE:

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

I can't remember a time before I saw this incredible movie. After from the occasional nod at Jasmine and Esmerelda, I wouldn't even consider wearing or owning the merchandise of any Disney princess that wasn't Belle. My three year old reasoning? "Because she's both pretty AND smart." Duh. She's by far the superior princess, and I'm not saying this because I'm a brunette. Plus her supporting cast is definitely top notch. I mean you've got Gaston, Lumiere, Cogsworth and Mrs. Pots. In other Disney movies you just have puny animals that can't talk (minus the Little Mermaid) and boring single parents.

FAVORITE '60s MOVIE:

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

Audrey, Audrey, Audrey. What more can I say? She's Glamorous, she's Gorgeous, she's Graceful, basically she's a G. I just love everything about this film. Whenever I feel a little lost or crazed, I like to watch it. Holly Golightly is a lost girl wandering through life without making any attachments or commitments. She meets Varjak Paul (George Peppard) and falls in love, but doesn't want to admit it because love is such a vulnerable, scary thing. Great lines, great characters, great cat.

FAVORITE '70s MOVIE:

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

"If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it."

This movie is paradise. I mean, it's a film with Gene Wilder about a gigantic chocolate factory run by orange, green-haired midgets. What's not to like? My favorite character is Veruca Salt, the spoiled Daddy's girl who steals the golden egg and gets sent down the trash shoot. "But Daddy, I want it NOWWWww!!!"

Now, I love Mr. Tim Burton, but I hate the fact that he tried to do a remake of this classic. It's already weird...what was his goal? To make it weirder? Luckily he didn't try to replicate the best part, which is the scene on the boat in the tunnel.

"There's no earthly way of knowing / Which direction we are going / There's no knowing where we're rowing / Or which way the river's flowing / Is it raining? / Is it snowing? / Is a hurricane a-blowing? / Not a speck of light is showing / So the danger must be growing / Are the fires of hell a-glowing? / Is the grisly reaper mowing? / Yes! The danger must be growing / For the rowers keep on rowing / And they're certainly not showing / Any signs that they are slowing!"

FAVORITE '80s MOVIE:

Little Shop of Horrors (1986)

This is also my favorite on-stage musical. I love the feeling of helplessness from those living downtown "where the folks are broke, where your life's a joke." If I could play one character on stage, it would have to be Audrey. "Suddenly Seymour" is one of my favorite songs of all time. Plus, it's about a giant man-eating plant from outer space, what could get more '80s than that? And the guy from Honey I Shrunk the Kids is in it. You can't lose.

FAVORITE '90s MOVIE:

The Sandlot (1993)

"You're killing me smalls!"

This is the ultimate film about childhood and friendship. Throw in a little baseball, and you've got a classic. The movie centers itself around Scotty Smalls, the new kid in town who wants to play baseball on the sandlot with the neighborhood boys. The bonds of friendship that result are some of the most comical and touching of any film to date. Plus, it also provides quick, yet precious directions on how to make a s'more.


No comments:

Post a Comment