Tuesday, February 1, 2011

No hope for 'Black Swan'

I woke up in a depression from an an article posted by Dave Karger of Entertainment Weekly. In it Karger discusses the Oscar race between The Social Network and The King's Speech for Best Picture. It's time to face the music. Black Swan hasn't received a single Best Picture award at the Golden Globes or at any of the guild awards. I just don't understand why it's not considered the best picture of not only this year, but of the last five. I guess that I was just blown away by more than Natalie Portman's performance (though it was stunning) and I was hoping that the major awards would acknowledge this incredible piece of art. Every element of the film felt flawless to me. I saw it three times in the regular theater, and though I did get in free because I worked at Regal Cinemas, I definitely didn't waste that much time on other movies. Well Black Swan, here is my Best Picture award to you. I know I'm definitely more than a few steps below any of the awards you'll ever attend, but you're number one in my book.

And in terms of the Best Picture race at this year's Oscars, my vote is for The Social Network. The film was captivating and well-acted and deserves its recognition. I, however, am still singing my swan song.

No comments:

Post a Comment