Saturday, October 29, 2011

'Titanic' set for 2-D and 3-D rerelease in theaters

I know I've reported on this before, but now certain audiences have viewed the 3-D version. I won't try to contain my childhood excitement toward seeing this movie in theaters again. I always felt a little embarrassed admitting that this was one of my favorite movies, but no more. I fully embrace it.

So, apparently, does Entertainment Weekly's Adam B. Vary. He was one of the lucky few who had the opportunity to watch the film in 3-D. He said it was, "Pretty darn good."

His article talks about the variety of ways James Cameron successfully uses the 3-D, but my favorite part from the article has to be:

"Yes, we also saw the iconic moment between Jack and Rose on the bow, and yes, almost in spite of myself, I felt a twinge of that sweeping romance that first hit me when I saw the movie on opening night. I have no idea if being able to fully appreciate the size of the ship behind them added to that feeling or not, and Cameron himself even admitted that it’s difficult to parse just what kind of affect 3-D has on an emotional experience."

I first saw this movie in theaters when I was 7 years old. It was my first PG-13 movie and the first movie I ever cried during, and I plan on doing everything in my power to find a theater playing it when it comes out this April.

The exact rerelease date is April 6, 2012. It's nine days before the 100-year anniversary of the RMS Titanic wreck.

Cameron says that converting a 2-D movie to 3-D isn't as ideal as filming the movie in 3-D, which he did for Avatar, but he has put in lots of time and money to make this film what he calls "2.99-D." Sixty weeks and $18 million to be exact.

Will you go see it?

No comments:

Post a Comment